To get the best fit when buying a belt on-line, it is important to select the correct size based upon an accurate measurement. Your belt size is not the same as your pants or waist size. Because your belt goes around you and your pants, your tucked in shirt, and your underwear, your belt size is usually one or two inches larger than your pants or waist size.
What we are trying to determine here is your BELT SIZE, i.e. the size to use for length when placing your order. The BELT LENGTH from end to end is not considered for measurement purposes because it also includes the width of the buckle itself plus a few additional inches of leather that every belt must have to the left of the buckle once it’s fastened.
From the last (widest) punched hole to the very end of the strap tip, a belt should measure 10cm / 4 inches for standard belts with five holes and 12,5cm / 5 inches for those with three holes (Hermes style). As a rule of thumb, when in the widest belt hole, the bes belt should be long enough to tuck the belt tip under your first belt loop.
When it comes to measuring your belt size, there are different options according to your wearing habits and belt/buckle types.
OPTION 1 – using your EXISTING BELT
- ON BELT STRAPS with DETACHABLE BUCKLES, just remove the buckle and tape measure the distance between the buckle hole ( A ) where the prong goes, all the way to your favorite hole ( B ).
- ON STANDARD BELTS, carefully stretch out the belt on a flat surface and, depending on the buckle type you have, tape measure from either the prong or the inside of the buckle where the buckle tongue ends ( C ), to whichever hole is currently being used ( D ) as shown below. Basically, the measurement you need to provide us with will be the sum of two dimensions: the “BELT SIZE” (the length from the fold in the leather belt to the main hole you will use) PLUS the “BUCKLE LENGTH” (the length from the fold in the leather belt to the hook in the buckle).
By using this method, you can be 100% confident that your new belt will fit you perfectly. Furthermore, in most cases it will let you save your old buckle (unless sewn on the strap) and use it on your new belt (if the buckle is detachable).
On your new belt, that same dimension will be the measurement from where the buckle attaches to the belt to the center hole. From this center hole most of our belts (except for Hermes style straps with 3 total holes) have two punched holes longer (at one inch increments) and two punched holes shorter (at one inch increments); this arrangement gives you the widest relevant range in adjusting your belt.
OPTION 2 – withOUT Belts –
Making Sure you are NOT wearing a belt while doing this, put a measuring tape through your pant/skirt loops and wrap it around your waist. Because you don’t want your new belt to interfere with your breath, inhale deeply and then measure your girth. This measures your bodily circumference. This is the measurement you need to provide when ordering your new belt.
OPTION 3 – withOUT Belts –
Tape measure your waistline according to where you intend to wear the belt ( waist, hips or somewhere in between ):
- MID / REGULAR WAIST: measure around your natural waistline
- LOW WAIST: measure around 2-3 inches below your natural waistline, where low-rise pants would fall;
- HIGH WAIST: measure around 2-3 inches above your natural waistline;
For more accurate sizing, we strongly suggest you to take your measurements WITHOUT wearing garments and eventually add one or two inches. The size to use for length when placing your belt order will equal your bodily circumference PLUS the girth of your underwear, shirts, pants or skirt.
OPTION 4 – withOUT Belts –
(for MEN ONLY!! – LADIES: please disregard this section and follow directions on Option 2 or 3)
Based on your pants size, pick your belts one or two sizes larger to get a good fit: if you wear a 36” trouser waist, a belt labeled 38"-40” will probably be in the right neighborhood. Remember, the 38”-40" will be the measurement from where the buckle connects to the belt to the hole currently being used. This works some of the times, but it is not the most accurate way.
Because sizing varies with different methods, it is recommended you don't order the size taken from another belt without measuring it first.Casanova1948™